Friday, December 2, 2011

Stay-in-Your-Jammies Latte or Something Like It

-->
I was cold this morning.  Cold and Miserable.  I got out of bed and I think I could see my breath.  I keep the heater set at 65 degrees because I am bound and determined that I will not have a gas bill over $200.  Probably I should do things to make my home more energy efficient, like insulate or caulk or get new windows, or climb up on the roof and cover up those whirly-turbine thingys.  But instead, I suffer, the dogs suffer, and we all wear lots of clothes.  And drink coffee. 
This morning, I got out of my warm toasty bed and all I could think was COFFEE.  Warm, delicious coffee.  That smell that makes you awake and alive.  What I really really wanted was another Caramel Brulee Latte like I had at Starbucks a few mornings ago, (along with a delicious Bacon and Gouda Breakfast Sandwich that I will definitely be trying to replicate in the near future.) What I also really really wanted was to stay in my jammies and not drive across town to The Coffee Shop for a regular Latte. If I was gonna have a Latte, I was gonna have to do it myself.
Unfortunately, I do not own one of those beautiful, complicated looking espresso machines that steams milk to frothy perfection.  I do, however, own a coffee maker and a computer.  And I know how to use The Google and The Youtube.  Here's the scoop.  It's not technically a Cafe Latte, can't replace the real deal, but it works in a pinch and I got to stay in my jammies pretty much all day.
1.  Pour a cup of milk into a Mason Jar.  Put the lid on and shake! shake! shake! it until the milk froths up to about twice its size.
Milk. Shaken.




2.  Put the milk in the microwave and heat it for about 30 - 45 seconds.  You don't want it to boil out or froth over, just heat it up until it's just a little too hot to hold in your bare hands.






3.  Your milk will have lots of foam on top still.  You can use a spoon to hold the froth back while you pour the warm milk into your coffee, then spoon some froth out into the top of your coffee.  Sprinkle with cinnamon, add sugar, whatever your little heart desires.  ENJOY!

No comments:

Post a Comment