Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Pilfer the Pantry: Frittata with Tomato, Green Chile, and Cheddar Cheese

Two of my favorite things in the world are food and photographs.  I guess it only makes sense that these two loves would eventually merge.  Lately I've been cooking stuff just so I can photograph it.  And then I eat it up.  And I might mention that I usually cook fattening, indulgent comfort food.  Maybe I should develop a love for photographing exercise instead…
Two of my least favorite things in the world are The Wal-Mart and The Grocery Store.  Because of this, I find myself resorting to cooking up things using just what I happen to have on hand at the moment.  This can make for some interesting (i.e. scary and/or disgusting) meals.  But it can also make for some pretty darn good ones.   Today's example:  actually, I'm not sure what it is, but I'm going to call it a Frittata.  Because the more you say Frittata, the funnier it sounds.  Frittata Frittata Frittata. Hee hee hee.
*(NOTE:  Instead of flipping the frittata and risking breaking it in the process, you can try this:  Preheat oven to Broil.  Cook frittata in oven-proof omelet pan.  Once egg is completely set on bottom but still slightly runny on top, sprinkle with cheese and place in oven under broiler until cheese is melted and egg is done.)


Ingredients:
3 eggs
1/4 of a medium tomato, chopped
1 canned green chile, drained and pressed with paper towel, then chopped
1/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese
Instructions:
Beat three eggs and stir in tomato and green chile.  Pour into 8 inch nonstick omelet pan sprayed with nonstick cooking spray.  Slowly cook on medium-low heat so as not to overcook bottom of frittata.  Once the frittata is completely set on the bottom and easy to slide around in pan, sprinkle with shredded cheese.  Slide spatula beneath frittata and flip so that cheese side is face down in pan.  Cook until cheese is melted and begins to cook into a crust. *(See Note Above!) Flip entire frittata out of pan and onto plate  so that it is cheese side up.  Cut into wedges and serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment